Monday, August 13, 2012

38. The Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns - Margaret Dilloway

I finished this one last night and I wanted to get my thoughts together before I reviewed. I liked this story. Gal has kidney disease. She doesn't let it define her she just goes on living and making each day her own. She loves roses and she breeds and enters shows. She's a moderate breeder because she's living on her teachers salary.

Gal tortured me. She had such a rough personality. It's like she made it difficult to like her and yet she had and made friends in some of the oddest ways. While dealing with her debilitating disease her niece, Riley, is thrust on her.  I was a bit nervous at first for Gal because it seemed like Riley might be a handful.

When you're living day to day it's hard to remove yourself from a situation and try to look at it from a different perspective. I think that was really hard for Gal to do. She seemed to take a lot of her relationships for granted. I'm glad we saw some growth from her but I'm sad we didn't quite finish her story. One major part of this was left sort of in the wind. Although, I think it was an excellent way to end, and yet I'm also frustrated from not knowing.

I loved how the author was able to go into some detail about caring for roses. It makes me want send my husband out to setup a greenhouse. I know for some it seemed to take away from the story but not me. I loved it. While reading I wanted to stop every so often to look up a rose and to see what it would look like. Small spoiler alert*******  Riley's sea garden sounded amazing as well.

I really enjoyed the story. Gal did have me cringing in some places with her bristly personality and yet I can understand her completely.
 
Nikki's Wild. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino